I had bought two Opteron boxes (dual dualcore / 4GB ram / 4 SATA trays).
When they arrived i went about installing them and then noticed I didn’t buy any disks. First of all I ran to buy two 1.5TB seagate 7200rpm disks to start with.
Next was about 2 hours searching for fitting screws for the disk sleds.
Then I had to find the onboard fake-controller got hung once it detected the disks.
With some searching I encountered a post at mydigitallife.com where some guy actually flashed the original Arima HDAMA Rev.G bios with a fresher SIL Sata Raid bios. note there is no spot on the mainboard where you can find out the revision. But at least one forum post indicates that if your BIOS socket contains a bios above version 2.00 then you’re fine.
He explained he did it using the “Phoenix BIOS editor”, but trust me: he’s simply a genious.
So off I went and updated the bios, and yes, definitely, it fixes the issue.
The only issue left is that the system crashes when loading the 64bit Xen kernel. But I could’nt care less, as long as the systems work fine.
I’ll add screenshots of all settings before update and the procedure in a few days.